Michael’s Martini – Wikileaks Dump Surprises on Russia, iphone, Scope of CIA
The CIA has certainly been a writer’s engine for great thrillers in both film, TV and writing. Just the Tom Clancy novels alone were amazing inspiration from the CIA. And now we have an adversary to the CIA in the form of Wikileaks in a global percolating insurrection against institutions.
Wikileaks claim: The CIA has ability to make malware captured in previous operations like Russian hacker ops, to appear as if it was still coming from Russia…
Major Wikileaks Dump
Wikileaks did a massive document dump today with a press conference. They claim that their press conference on Live video was immediately under attack. Wikileaks is probably the preeminent hacker and disclosure website on the planet. The group is led by Julian Assange who has been hiding in Ecuador’s London embassy for several years.
You can’t pickup a smartphone, use a smart TV, use a computer, etc., without crossing paths with their efforts at disclosure of the CIA and many other organizations. Among the latest FAQ:
Specific FAQ about the Dump
- What time period is covered? The years 2013 to 2016. The sort order of the pages within each level is determined by date (oldest first). WikiLeaks has obtained the CIA’s creation/last modification date for each page but these do not yet appear for technical reasons. Usually the date can be discerned or approximated from the content and the page order. If it is critical to know the exact time/date contact WikiLeaks.
- What is “Vault 7” “Vault 7” is a substantial collection of material about CIA activities obtained by WikiLeaks.
- What is the total size of “Vault 7”? The series is the largest intelligence publication in history.
- When was each part of “Vault 7” obtained?: Part one was obtained recently and covers through 2016. Details on the other parts will be available at the time of publication.
- Is each part of “Vault 7” from a different source? Details on the other parts will be available at the time of publication.
- How did WikiLeaks obtain each part of “Vault 7”? Sources trust WikiLeaks to not reveal information that might help identify them.
- Isn’t WikiLeaks worried that the CIA will act against its staff to stop the series? No. That would be certainly counter-productive.
Numerous shock assertions in these Wikileaks documents including penetration of Whatsapp, Telegraph and other supposedly secure phone apps. Complete worldwide penetration of Windows PC. And the ability to penetrate networks not connected to the internet.
The CIA’s Mobile Devices Branch (MDB) developed numerous attacks to remotely hack and control popular smart phones. Infected phones can be instructed to send the CIA the user’s geolocation, audio and text communications as well as covertly activate the phone’s camera and microphone.
Despite iPhone’s minority share (14.5%) of the global smart phone market in 2016, a specialized unit in the CIA’s Mobile Development Branch produces malware to infest, control and exfiltrate data from iPhones and other Apple products running iOS, such as iPads. CIA’s arsenal includes numerous local and remote “zero days” developed by CIA or obtained from GCHQ, NSA, FBI or purchased from cyber arms contractors such as Baitshop. The disproportionate focus on iOS may be explained by the popularity of the iPhone among social, political, diplomatic and business elites.
A similar unit targets Google’s Android which is used to run the majority of the world’s smart phones (~85%) including Samsung, HTC and Sony. 1.15 billion Android powered phones were sold last year. “Year Zero” shows that as of 2016 the CIA had 24 “weaponized” Android “zero days” which it has developed itself and obtained from GCHQ, NSA and cyber arms contractors.
These techniques permit the CIA to bypass the encryption of WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram, Wiebo, Confide and Cloackman by hacking the “smart” phones that they run on and collecting audio and message traffic before encryption is applied.